Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Writing Challenge Motivation


I have a confession to make; I can be lazy when it comes to writing. I have moments where I want to write, but when I sit down at the computer, the feeling goes away. There's been days, even weeks where I've gone without writing.

I started working on my latest WIP back in June, and by mid August I estimated I had only completed 2 chapters. Sure that seemed like good progress, but for me it wasn't much. I needed some motivation, a kick in the butt to get me writing.



Thanks to writingchallenge.org I found my motivation. They host monthly writing challenges where you try to complete 500 words a day or 1 hour of editing. You keep track of your progress on the site's participant log and on Twitter using their hashtags.

I'd been thinking of entering a writing challenge because it'd be a great form of motivation and plus it'd be fun. When I came across writingchallenge.org I decided to give it a shot and see if it helped. So in September I began my writing challenge, each day I wrote 500 words on my WIP, sometimes I'd exceed the limit.

The challenge proved to be a great motivation and by the end of October, I finished my book. Having a goal to complete each day made me want to sit down and write, for the first time in months I was excited about writing.



Since the writing challenge, I've been writing and editing more. I make it a priority to try to write every day and not go more than one week without writing. I'm hoping to release my latest WIP in March and if I stick with my plan like I did in the writing challenge, I should succeed in my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment